electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
The DoubleDeka Ultrasonic VCO
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
sduck

Audio files: 5

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Another question -

Switch polarity. I'm using the bridechamber panel, with the 2 switches. I realize that if I get the polarity wrong, I can just spin them 180 degrees, but I tend to wire things pretty tight and getting things right the first time is nice.

S1 - I connect S1a to the middle lug, and S1b to which lug to make it work correctly with the panel?

The Lin cv ac/dc switch - which way should I wire this? One direction the signals being routed through a cap, the other way it's straight - which one's ac, which is dc?

Thanks!
frijitz

Audio files: 54

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
S1 - I connect S1a to the middle lug, and S1b to which lug to make it work correctly with the panel?

The bottom one, I believe, although I don't actually have the bridechamber unit.

Quote:
The Lin cv ac/dc switch - which way should I wire this? One direction the signals being routed through a cap, the other way it's straight - which one's ac, which is dc?

Thru the cap is ac.

Very Happy

Ian
sduck

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!
johans121

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I just built #1 out of 2. This is one amazing module! The different timbres you can get out of it as a VCO are awesome, but I found that using it as a mod-source more than doubles its value. Audio rate modulation is amazing with this thing. Hooking one of its two VCO's outputs up to the V/O input on a filter and then tweaking the sliders creates some wicked sounds!

Great job Ian! Can't wait to get my second one built! Let the Audio Maelstrom begin!

(someone is going to have to put me away after I get these and my teezers going!)

ALSO several things of note regarding the PCB and the copy of the documentation that I received in 09/2008 (don't know if it has been updated):
1) The outputs on the PCB are labeled incorrectly. The pad marked OutA is really OutB & vice versa
2) The BOM lists a TL074 for U9 when it really calls for a TL072
3) On the BOM R30 is listed TWICE, the first value as 10kOhm & the second 1MOhm. R30 is supposed to be (according to the schematic 10KOhm)
4) R31 is not listed on the BOM, it is supposed to be 1MOhm (once again, according to the schematic)

-Jim

-Jim
frijitz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

johans121 wrote:
I just built #1 out of 2. This is one amazing module! The different timbres you can get out of it as a VCO are awesome, but I found that using it as a mod-source more than doubles its value. Audio rate modulation is amazing with this thing. Hooking one of its two VCO's outputs up to the V/O input on a filter and then tweaking the sliders creates some wicked sounds!

Glad you like it! I'll have to try using it as a mod source.

Quote:
ALSO several things of note regarding the PCB and the copy of the documentation that I received in 09/2008 (don't know if it has been updated):

Thanks for pointing those out. Some of those have been corrected; I'll recheck them all when I get a chance.

Very Happy

Ian
frijitz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

johans121 wrote:
1) The outputs on the PCB are labeled incorrectly. The pad marked OutA is really OutB & vice versa

I can't find any error in labeling. Perhaps check you didn't switch the J4/J4a wiring?

Quote:
2) The BOM lists a TL074 for U9 when it really calls for a TL072

This has been corrected.

Quote:
3) On the BOM R30 is listed TWICE, the first value as 10kOhm & the second 1MOhm. R30 is supposed to be (according to the schematic 10KOhm)
4) R31 is not listed on the BOM, it is supposed to be 1MOhm (once again, according to the schematic)

This is a single typo and has been corrected. In the line "1 MOhm R30, R35", R30 should be replaced by R31.

Very Happy

Ian
sduck

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Just finished mine! Very cool sounding vco - haven't had a chance to do more than scratch the surface yet.

I didn't have any of the problems Johan had with the parts and docs I got from The Bridechamber. I was a bit worried about the out A and out B, but mine are labeled correctly. The way I had mine wired, if it needed fixing, it was going to be a big problem, and of course I did that bit of wiring the night before Johan posted about his problem.

The one thing I had to go back and fix is something that could be clarified a bit in the comments section - the wiring for the octave switches. For some dumb reason I assumed the letters on the pcb would correspond to the numbers on the switch - a=1, b=2, etc. But that's not how they work - it's backwards. Oh well, it didn't take long to fix.

Ian Fritz DoubleDeka VCO front

Ian Fritz DoubleDeka VCO back2
fluxmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

almost done... anybody have a mouser part number for the 2 rotary switches?

b

sduck

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I used 105-SR2612F-18-21RN from mouser for the ones in the pictures above.
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Ian,

What is the frequency range of the undivided core HF output?

Tnx,
Scott

frijitz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
What is the frequency range of the undivided core HF output?

Officially, 120 kHz. This gives you fundamental frequencies up to 12 kHz. If you need more range, you can get another octave by dividing the output into two identical 5-step sequences.

Unofficially, I believe you can run it up to ~200 kHz, but I can't vouch for repeatability or reliability at the extreme end.

The circuit is very similar to Fig. 4 in the data sheet.

Cooking something up?

Very Happy

Ian
Scott Stites
Janitor
Janitor

Audio files: 96

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

120 kHz Shocked

That's plenty!

Oh, someone expressed a wish over at MW for an SH3 type VCO, and I'm pretty sure the DoubleDeka core could easily pull it off using the HF output to drive the (very simple) shaping function of those synths. Even the PWM (Roland calls it chorus), which is just PWM derived from the shaped 8' sawtooth. In this case, one could just put the derived waveforms on sliders with a waveform selector for each slider. It wouldn't look all that different from the DoubleDeka we see today.

Cheerios,
Scott

frijitz

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Scott Stites wrote:
Oh, someone expressed a wish over at MW for an SH3 type VCO, and I'm pretty sure the DoubleDeka core could easily pull it off using the HF output to drive the (very simple) shaping function of those synths.

Ah, you saw that first! I posted your idea over there, just to see if anyone bites.

Very Happy

Ian
sduck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ack! A major problem has occurred. Why, I don't know. I hadn't used my doubledekka for a while, in fact had removed the power cable, as I'm short of power cables and needed it elsewhere. Plugged it back up, and I'm only getting one pitch out of it - the knobs and pitch cv ins aren't doing anything. The sync and ring in jacks do work, and the sliders are affecting the sound, so my guess is a chip has decided to die on me - but which one? Or something else? Any ideas are welcome.

Edit - a quick look at the scematics makes me suspect the OPA2227 is to blame - ? I used the part kit from Bridechamber - are these chips tempermental or anything?
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
Ack!

Indeed! Very odd. Do you have a DVM you can clip in? It sounds off hand like U1 could be bad, so if you could look at its two outputs as you change the coarse freq control?

Ian
sduck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yup, I'm getting a flatline from that chip. I've put one in my basket for my next mouser order. They have several different kinds - a OPA2227P, a OPA2227PA, and several others - any kind that's recommended?
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

sduck wrote:
They have several different kinds - a OPA2227P, a OPA2227PA, and several others - any kind that's recommended?

I think I just get the least expensive one.

You can put in any standard dual amp in its place temporarily. TL072, etc.

Very odd that it got fried. You might want to check the circuitry around it carefully to make sure there isn't some kind of short somewhere.

Keep me posted, please!

Ian
sduck

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I put a TL072 in, and it works - at least the knobs and cv's work. I'll wait until I get the OPA2227 to calibrate it - that's what I was hoping to do today, but it can wait.
frijitz

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, you nailed it down pretty quick. thumleft

Don't see why that should have burned out -- the converter circuit is totally standard.

Ian
druish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: DoubleDeka
Subject description: WOW
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

HOLY @#$%! This thing is sooo badass! Just playing with the FM alone, this badboy RIPS!

KUDOS to Fritz! Very Happy

ddPCB.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  757.41 KB
 Viewed:  421 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ddPCB.jpg

ddWHOLE.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  702.17 KB
 Viewed:  428 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

ddWHOLE.jpg

Abby Normal

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I can't help but this that this D-Deka module would look fantastic using those illumintated sliders, like the one in this link:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_FMBJEkaC8Lw/R7J5yYEgPCI/AAAAAAAAO_I/i8uoOUPaDs4/s1600-h/f5d0_1.JPG
synchroton

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm wondering: would it be an easy mod to add sync to this oscillator? I'm thinking this might have some potential video synthesis application, given the high frequency of the core... But immediately it seems most useful if it could be sync'd to the horizontal or vertical refresh pulse...
frijitz

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synchroton wrote:
I'm wondering: would it be an easy mod to add sync to this oscillator?

It has sync -- two varieties, actually.

Very Happy

Ian
synchroton

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Heh! Guess I didn't look so closely. Just got excited when I saw how fast it was running...
Abby Normal

Audio files: 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

What size screws are needed for the front panel to slider mounting? I have 2-56 size screws, but they don't seem to fit. It seems like the wrong thread pitch.

I'm also wondering if I'm missing any documentation. All I have is the dd_board_doc.pdf. Is there anything else that I might be missing?

Thanks for any help...
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 5 of 6 [145 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: