electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
CGS89 Gate Sequencer's & some division
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Skrog Productions

Audio files: 155

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: CGS89 Gate Sequencer's & some division
Subject description: For the Blue tower
Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi there Smile

Recently I've been patching Gates from 4 of my diy sequencers through a sequential switch for some changing patterns for 1 bass line Smile , I really like the changing patterns but I'd also like to free up 3 sequencers Smile.
While browsing the net for diy solutions , a popular search return was the CGS89 Gate sequencer with a couple of add on switch banks/ buffers (like Thomas White's 4 channel CGS89).

Smile spent the last few weekends trying ideas for my panel, I think I'm close now Smile , Ordered some boards from Ken and I need to knock together a couple of veroboard divider circuits , one is on the test layout panel already , the space at the lower right is for a rotary selectable/ single out divider.

I'm going for a 4 channel for sequencer 1 and a 2 channel for sequencer 2 , I'm limited by a panel of 250mm high by 200mm wide for this module , I would have made Seq2 a 4 channel too but I will be tight for space , also there are no individual step outs , I had a long hard think about them and decided I'd be using probably just 1 out per cycle , so I went for a rotary to select the desired step & 1 out socket (to trigger my burst generator Smile ) .

Here is the blue test panel layout so far ....

Dave.

4+2 Gate Sequencers small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  408.9 KB
 Viewed:  803 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

4+2  Gate Sequencers small.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

CGS boards arrived yesterday , Smile , decided to stuff the sequencer boards with components this afternoon & make an order to Rapid electronics for some panel switches & sockets etc.

Hope to get panel finalised through the week and get drilling next week Smile .
Dave.

CGS89 boards.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  448.51 KB
 Viewed:  702 Time(s)

CGS89 boards.jpg

CGS89 boards 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  423.31 KB
 Viewed:  748 Time(s)

CGS89 boards 2.jpg

CGS89 boards 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  456.52 KB
 Viewed:  712 Time(s)

CGS89 boards 3.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hullo .

I've finished the panel layout with the 2nd divider & final checked washer / nut spacings for text fouling , all seems good so far , going to start the vero-board stuff later (extra buffers for channel C & D / and the 2 dividers).

Need to order about 50 led bezels 5mm with recessed slope in black plastic for this and other projects , I usually get them from Rapid http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-Components/LED-Bezel-5mm-29304 ..... then I noticed ESR components near Whitley bay are doing a better rate http://www.esr.co.uk/components/products/frame-leds.htm

Dave.

Gate sequencer fix as of13th April 2014 small.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  433.56 KB
 Viewed:  751 Time(s)

Gate sequencer fix as of13th April 2014 small.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Extra buffers for gatemix / pulse rows C1 & D1 and a 4024 divider (Fonik) & 4017 divider (Yusynth) done & wired ready on vero-board .
Also got an off cut of 3mm aluminium 250mm X 200mm from Engineers/ metal workshop in town, needs a clean with solvent then ready for the drill template mid week after work.

Dave.

buffers & dividers sml.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  483.08 KB
 Viewed:  729 Time(s)

buffers & dividers sml.jpg

3mm thick - 250mm high X 200mm wide aluminium panel.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  203.96 KB
 Viewed:  702 Time(s)

3mm thick - 250mm high X 200mm wide aluminium panel.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got the stickers done , 2 sets one drill template & one clean finish .
Raced to the shed after work and centre punched the panel(s) , started with the 4mm drill and piloted all crosshairs , then went over the switches / sockets with 6.5mm bit , then 8mm bit for led bezels , and finally 11mm for the 1/4" sockets , I give the face of the template sticker a good spray with cutting oil, messy , but the drills glide through the 3mm alum plate , there are burrs on the exit side but easy to take off , I use a very sharp old wood chisel to plane them off , then the back side of the panel gets a quick rub with wet n dry sandpaper , finally a spray all over with automotive carburettor cleaning spray , great for getting fine grit & swarf off the front surface , don't light a cigarette after spraying Very Happy Very Happy , a final wash with soapy warm water and the plate is good for the final finish sticker application .
More at the weekend Smile .

Dave.

Centre Punch drill guides.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  287.89 KB
 Viewed:  668 Time(s)

Centre Punch drill guides.jpg

Drill3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  228.08 KB
 Viewed:  696 Time(s)

Drill3.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi , panel now has the sticker applied , using a dash of washing up liquid in some warm water & a sponge , I soaped up the adhesive side of the clean final sticker , now with the stickiness briefly deactivated I can move the sticker around to line up as many cross hairs as possible , looking from the back of the drilled plate I can see through the holes and adjust the crosses to be centred ( there will always be 1 or 2 holes slightly off by a milimeter or so , unless you have a fully automated drill set up Wink ). after drying off overnight the panel is now ready to lance / slice out the crosses on the finished front with a scalpel blade , then decorate with switches & sockets etc.

pic of the rear side under a table lamp to check cross alignments.

thru the back.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  235.97 KB
 Viewed:  791 Time(s)

thru the back.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi.
Finished fixing the hardware to the panel (apart from the led's & fixing brackets) , next job fix brackets & run a solid 1mm sq bare copper ground wire round the sockets ground tags & a few more bits of solid conductor for the pulse / gate switches common wires which will run down L1 and L2 of the toggle switch rows.

Dave.

hardware rear sequencer.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  257.39 KB
 Viewed:  700 Time(s)

hardware rear sequencer.jpg

The Bad Producer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Great project and love the write up!
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The Bad Producer wrote:
Great project and love the write up!

Smile thanks , it's going smoothly so far, hope to have the wiring done by the weekend...... then de-bug if needed Smile

Dave
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wires..............

The tedious but necessary part of overtly switchy & sockety projects . a few pics of the wiring stage.

top of seq during wiring pic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  365.1 KB
 Viewed:  550 Time(s)

top of seq during wiring pic.jpg

birds nest top view during wiring.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  324.01 KB
 Viewed:  517 Time(s)

birds nest top view during wiring.jpg

PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

looks good Dave! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

second that what Phobos said, looks really impressive and also like a lot of work... guess i would spend a year to build such a thing Very Happy

but one question: this is only giving variable gate or trigger pulses no CV's right?
i'd also like to see/hear what you're able to do with this nice pattern generator/sequencer when ready...
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
looks good Dave! Very Happy

Thanks Phobos Very Happy
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wackelpeter wrote:
second that what Phobos said, looks really impressive and also like a lot of work... guess i would spend a year to build such a thing Very Happy

but one question: this is only giving variable gate or trigger pulses no CV's right?
i'd also like to see/hear what you're able to do with this nice pattern generator/sequencer when ready...

Hi ,thanks Very Happy , yes that's right , just gates & pulses.
This unit will mainly be used with a sequential switch and 1 or 2 separate diy sequencers in my system .

Dave.
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yessss.
On the home stretch now , tested & powered up the CGS boards last night , both working a treat , yay Very Happy ,Quick test set up as 2 X 8 step sequencers, after testing both, I tried patching end out to reset in on each sequencer (1 to 2 / 2 to 1) + setting both the switches to hold and it works great as a 16 step with the outs "or" switched to A1 & B1, fab Smile .

Now to connect up & test / debug my veroboard then cable tidy with some ties and give final checks / tests .

pics & some sounds of it working the modular in next post over the weekend.
Smile

Dave.
wackelpeter

Audio files: 10

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

if someone had read the description and the title carefully this question would be obvious... my fault sorry... but neverless thank's for your reply even to such stupid questions... Wink
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

flower
no such thing as a stupid question Smile
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cable tying done and testing of whole unit finished Smile phew , nothing bad during final tests , I love it when projects work first time , heheheh Smile .

To the modular system.......
to get audio recording for next post.....

Dave.

Gate seq wiring 1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  671.9 KB
 Viewed:  421 Time(s)

Gate seq wiring 1.jpg

Gate seq wiring 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  662.15 KB
 Viewed:  449 Time(s)

Gate seq wiring 2.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quick pic of the finished front panel of the dual CGS89 sequencer (Ken Stone)
Middle divider (Fonik) and the lower right single divider (Yusynth).
Before installation into the modular, a pic of it relaxing on the couch Smile

CGS89 Front panel 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  529.65 KB
 Viewed:  450 Time(s)

CGS89 Front panel 2.jpg

CGS89 Front panel 3.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  279.79 KB
 Viewed:  484 Time(s)

CGS89 Front panel 3.jpg

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Sounds....... Smile

I have patched up a few modules to the new sequencer for some simple tests.
The first mp3 has a diy M-185 sequencer clocking the dual CGS89 gate sequencer, the 4 mix outs A1/B1/C1/D1 are sent to a 4 in-1 out sequential switch (which is clocked from the middle divide by16 socket), this is firing an ADSR with 4 patterns which is working a VCA.
A TH102 xrvco is plugged straight into the vca.

The second mp3 has the unused M-185 sequencer cv out patched to the vco cv in , now the patterns get melodic Smile Smile.

The third mp3 has me patching in an extra gate to the ADSR from the lower left single divider on top of the gate sequence, odd division numbers 3 / 5 / 7 produce some offbeat patterns Smile Smile

Forgot to say I have all the divider & clock inputs common switched through the jacks to sequencer 1 clock in, plug the master clock in there and the whole module runs together Smile

Hope to do a simple Epicyclus track to upload in a few days when the new module settles into the system Smile.

Dave.

gate sequencer test 1014.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  gate sequencer test 1014.mp3
 Filesize:  783.91 KB
 Downloaded:  1008 Time(s)

gate sequencer test 2015.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  gate sequencer test 2015.mp3
 Filesize:  757.85 KB
 Downloaded:  1049 Time(s)

gate sequencer test 3016.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  gate sequencer test 3016.mp3
 Filesize:  3.96 MB
 Downloaded:  982 Time(s)

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi There Smile

I now have a nice wee Epicyclus track I made today with the new dual CGS89 gate sequencer & many more modules , this may find it's way on to the new Epicyclus album Smile.

Patched up I have 3 sequencers (Fonik vcps8 / mfos 16step / mfos 16 varistep) working 3 dual vco's which go to Ken Stone simple wave folders then into 3 vcf's and 3 vca's.
The new 4+2 gate sequencer module is giving patterns (via a sequential switch module) for the 2 mfos sequencers , the vcps8 works a highpass sound (about 2mins into the track).

Added for decoration I played some juno60 high pad notes (about 3 mins in)

This module will be used a lot in my set up, I'm finding it great for spicing up 8 step standard sequences , fantastic Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Thanks for looking in to check the progress , cheers guys , and thanks to Ken Stone for speedy posting & great pcb's & also Fonik for divider 1 and Yusynth for divider 2.

Dave.

New Gate Sequencer circled.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.14 MB
 Viewed:  501 Time(s)

New Gate Sequencer circled.jpg

Epicyclus - 4+2 sequencers.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  Epicyclus - 4+2 sequencers.mp3
 Filesize:  8.94 MB
 Downloaded:  1002 Time(s)

blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nice track! and that wall of synth is getting very impressive Cool

edit: some nice patterns on the gate sequencer test mp3s.

Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jan , Smile , glad you enjoyed the track Smile

Dave.
Cynosure
Site Admin

Audio files: 82

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Awesome track! Just what we needed for the new playlist Very Happy
Skrog Productions

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks Jake Smile Smile Smile

Dave.
Page 1 of 2 [28 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software » Ken Stone designs - CGS
Jump to: