electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Controlling Waldorf XT or Blofeld with a Nord G2
Page 1 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Controlling Waldorf XT or Blofeld with a Nord G2 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Together at last, my G2's and a Waldorf XT. Finally picked up an XT - and what a combo. The G2 is running lookup sequencers which control the Waldorf notes, both wavetables, and filter settings. Just lush and in your face. I am beefing up the Waldorf xt with a G2 compressor some eq and fx.

Now I can sell the Dave Smith Evolver, as I can get it's distortion in the G2 and the wave tables are way nicer in the XT, and have more polyphony, audio ins, and all those filters.

I'm also running a G2 send and return loop through the XT audio in and bus out for so much more character than the G2 filters could ever give me.

How do folks combine the two? I know there are a lot of you with this combo around here.

[Update - Jan 30, 2010]
Here is an article on having a Waldorf Blofeld and my G2 integrated in the studio and live use over the past 6 months:

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-282337.html#282337

/Dasz

Nord G2 and Waldorf XT.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  78.48 KB
 Viewed:  804 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Nord G2 and Waldorf XT.jpg

Last edited by dasz on Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
slave to this

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz,

are you just controlling which wavetable is selected with the "lookup" sequencers or actually feeding in values that are writing the wavetables? if it's the second one, i'd like to ask how you are doing this? i wish i had a pc so i could edit my xt more easily. the soundtower editor for that thing is really cool. i created a basic patch with all the midi cc's assigned to g2 knobs, but that isn't so special or that fun to edit. it's fun to randomize them with automation though.

microwave_editor.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  microwave_editor.pch2
 Filesize:  8.25 KB
 Downloaded:  1731 Time(s)

dasz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Nah, I'm not writing wavetables, just using a level+ctl sequencer to select wavetable start points.

I should feed my wavewalker G2 wavetable emulation through the xt.

Thanks for the g2 patch. that juts saved me some work.
/Dasz
slave to this

G2 patch files: 7

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

no problem. you've definitely supplied me with great ideas in the past. look forward to hearing more of your microwave and g2 ventures. hoping you'll inspire me to use my orange box a bit more.
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
Nah, I'm not writing wavetables, just using a level+ctl sequencer to select wavetable start points.

/Dasz

Have you seen Jim Maier's page on the xt?
http://www.carbon111.com/mwxt.html

He had a few of these for sale earlier this year, on another list.
They went quick, but he still has- at least one.
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Have you seen Jim Maier's page on the xt?
http://www.carbon111.com/mwxt.html

Yup. I've known about it for some time. I'm wondering how people interface them with the G2's.

Things I haven't tried
a. morphing the parameters of the xt
b. running another microwave xt patch through it's bus out and into the external analog in for double the number of oscillators/wavetables (mono patch only).
c. smoothing the externally (MIDI CC) controlled paramerters to avoid stepping.
d. controlling the g2 with the Waldorf xt panel (& have the panel update when you change g2 patches or variations) & vice versa.

/Dasz
cappy2112

Audio files: 2
G2 patch files: 1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:

/Dasz

When will we be able to enjoy your sounds of a G2 being microwaved?
dasz

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I still need to assemble my studio and this is slow due to a re-injury I'm fighting.
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:22 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

holy crap!

the studio is ready. it is just too much -- but now I need speakers

picture will follow.
/Dasz

Last edited by dasz on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
dasz

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

after 4+ years, I have no more gear closet to "hide" my gear in. I am (not pun intended) out of "that" closet and into my own studio room. I am very happy and somewhat reluctant to take a whole room up with my electronics.

here is the picture for elaboration. Notice a copy of Revolve 100m sequencer s/w I produced in the 1990's (eventually for Opcode), Rs7000 (left most)), 2 G2 keys with monitor between them, one DAT machine as A/D for Waldorf xt (right most in rack, with all those 44 knobs)

Damn, this space gives me good inspiration. Good! Share your space for inspiration!
/Dasz

dz studio 2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.22 KB
 Viewed:  717 Time(s)

dz studio 2.jpg

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Dasz, would be great to hear a little mp3 demo of both G2 and the XS doing things together Very Happy

Please, please....

By the way, congratulations for your new studio, nice lair!

dasz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks!

right now there is too much gear fighting for the same frequencies.... i just finished wiring it all up ... please be patient...

I am not doing very much in the studio at the moment due to a re-injury.
/Dasz

Last edited by dasz on Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
iPassenger

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looking forward to hearing what all this can do together. Must say, since seeing yr tidy set up been hitting ebay for prices on second hand XTs. Smile Can't afford one like but it is nice to look, anyway.
Fozzie

Audio files: 8
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

See also this thread http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-9015-0.html&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

I made a kind of editor for my microwave PC, a PC-module version of the XT. All the normal CC's are in there, including an elaborate scheme to get all Sysex parameters under control in combination with Midiox.

Maybe the patch could save you some work to look up CC's

BobTheDog

Audio files: 32
G2 patch files: 15

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Dasz,

Glad you got the room sorted out, looks pretty good to me.

Andy
sebber

Audio files: 3
G2 patch files: 33

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey Dasz,

this looks so cool. Great to see you going and can't wait to hear more from you.

I was thinking about buying an Evolver myself. What do you mean by "I can get the dirstortion out of my G2"? Are you saying I don't need to spend $400 because you made a patch??

dasz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

yes and no. at the modular event, I talked about one trick to do good/flexible distortion.

the bigger issues with the evolver that the xt solves for me are:

1. wavetables do not interpolate (just jump from one wave to another abruptly. i did not realize how important this was for me (having owned both a microwave1 and 2 in the past)

2. it's monophonic - 10 voices is better than 1 (esp when this is the only other synth besides the red machines)

3. the 2 digit LED vs 2 x 40 LCD of the xt

4. evolver has 2 characters (the prophet and the vs) and is wikked on drums. the characters of xt go from digital 8 bit game bleeps and random noise, through decent kick drums, insane metal drums, juicy waldorf 24lp filter base, simmering pads with lfos and slowly evolving timbre changes (128 clock lfo's), liquidy strings.

5. the evolver amazing distortion components built in. I got me a really nice distortion pedal (or a line 6 pod would be good - this one looks good for external control- http://www.zzounds.com/item--LINPODXT) so I have some coverage in that area already (not to mention the sound I get out of the G2 distortion is more than adequate for me)

6. Evolver has stereo in. xt is mono, but that is ok for a send-return loop. Wish it was stereo.

7. I'm a willing to give up authentic analog bass punch 8 knob and sequencer blinky lights, and presence, over the flexibility, stunning filters, interpolating wavetables, beautiful panel of the xt (and using this panel to control synths from other marks and models - or other patches of an xt in multi situation).

8. of course imagine external control over xt wavetables by my style of sequencers is, hmmm... interesting... of course, this is possible in the evolver as well, but not the same (since there is no interpolation, only 64 digital waves, vs the xt's superior wavetable implementation)

9. familiarity/nostalgia - the evolver was something I have not had before, and the xt is quite familiar since I've owned 2 waldorf microwave models in the past. the evolver brings real punch and in your face presence, and an amazing distortion implementation. but nostalgia wins ...

In the end, the extra $200 or so to get the xt vs the evolver buys enough features to make it more worthwhile in my case. I would recommend either synth to anyone.

[edited]
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

did I mention, the orange xt was something I always salivated over, esp since I bought my microwave2 6 weeks before the release of the xt and could no longer return/exchange it when the xt came out (I was quite miffed, due to the 44 knobs, analog in, and delay fx).

also, the orange and red and black color scheme of the xt goes really well wit h the nord g2 color scheme and both use green LCD's.

Enough for today.
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Surprise, folks!

I have a new setup, as I moved my studio recently - again & twice in 2 months (thus my new avatar).

My set is coming along well, but I figured I'd share some of the cool character of the waldorf xt filters with you to give you an idea of their flexibility (for those who do not have a waldorf xt). this synth is soo much worth the price.

Since you can u/l your own wavetables, you CAN create your own filters Wink and how sweet is that Wink

And yes, it is 3 g2 note sequencers controlling the xt.

http://electro-music.com/forum/post-143736.html#143736

I am using this studio only 1 hour a week.
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

AKA "what makes a cool filter".

I really love the filters in the waldorf xt. they are superb and rich. but I am especially drawn to the waveshaper filter which uses a wavetable as a sort of scaler / shaper waveform to transform incoming signals to.

So i have a new xt patch which uses the filter envelope to both control cutoff and waveshape

[EDIT - of course to illustrate the effect better, I use standard saw oscillators, and use the wavetables are used to sweep the filter waveshape only, sorry for not making this point earlier]. And using the big red wavetable knob, I keep finding wonderful choices.

now if one was to also apply such a principle to resonance -- i bet it would add character too.

so, dear patchers, here is the challenge, make me a diy waveshaper filter which takes some sort of wavetable (hint use sequencers and mux for this), and modulates them based on some synchronized mods (ex filter env controlling both cutoff and waveshape wavetable, and resonance to select wavetable to control ????)

Am I dreaming or does this make sense? The orange XT says so. It is just a concept.
/Dasz

xt wavetable.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  58.65 KB
 Viewed:  44428 Time(s)

xt wavetable.jpg

dasz

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

whoa, and it is over one month later since I did control the xt with the g2. Some seq's for filter, res, and note values, the result is cool, but not cool enough.

At least I feel the sense of power, and it is therapeutic, thank you Wink

Love those XT filters, oh so warm...
/Dasz
dasz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

and here is an example of a g2 processing wavetables (sound one of multi Cool which outputs with and open filter, out sub outs and into inputs 3/4 of a G2 and additional oscillator going through an xt filter (waveshape and lp24 used in recording) - g 2 out into xt audio in and through sound two of multi 8 in xt) external in only - filter - output to main). Sweet....

reminds me of my days with an evolver doing this stuff. but now I can do the noisey designs Wink

rich little xt filter -- love it Wink
/Dasz

G2 xt filter.mp3
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  G2 xt filter.mp3
 Filesize:  1.01 MB
 Downloaded:  1405 Time(s)

G2DREAM

Audio files: 5
G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Warm sweet killer pads... Cool Laughing
Very nice dasz...
dasz

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

thanks g2dream (some would argue you ought to change your name due to the no more OS fear, but for me I dream in g2 modules, regardless of updates)

Here is the g2 patch (very simple btw). the g2 must run on the same midi channel as the xt (and control it). All it does is add some saturation and OD and adds an osc for testing purposes.

the connections are

1. g2 loaded with this patch and output 3 out goes to xt audio in. the xt's sub outs are connected to g2 input 3&4
2. xt has a multi with 2 patches (both on the same midi channel as the g2)
a. Out patch - mixer goes to 2 completely open LP filters (cutoff max, res, 0) this goes to sub outs
b. In patch - all mixer levels off except for external in. You then pass through the xt filter of this patch and adjust & midi control it (if you want to)

Reading about the waldorf Blofeld and it's brilliance parameter drove me to try it out for myself ...

I know there are lots of folks with an xt and a g2 around these parts ... I'd love to hear what you do with them & how you combine them -- with examples. It is inspiration for me and others to hear these ideas to drive us to do new things (call it our internal OS updates Wink )
/Dasz

New studio and labels copy.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  201.94 KB
 Viewed:  565 Time(s)

New studio and labels copy.jpg

InOUt XT3 in&out.pch2
 Description:

Download
 Filename:  InOUt XT3 in&out.pch2
 Filesize:  1.45 KB
 Downloaded:  1409 Time(s)

dasz

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well, it is now about a year since I got my Waldorf (back) xt. And I must say, the attitude in this beast is from pretty bad ass, twisted glitchy, to space-filling, ethereal, and lush. The really nice addition (thanks to Konketsu from LivePa.org for pointing it out since the unit has sat in my closet until recently) is the 4 input ensoniq dp/4 which serves 2 xt outputs plus a pair of stereo master mackie 12042VLZ3 mixer sends. A nice match of synth and fx.

I must say that I have used it standalone (not controlled by a G2, but by a rs7000) up until this point, but now I am integrating it into dual prf2's which are loaded into each of my 2 g2's to control 1 xt (and other things like the master set control sequences in the rs7000, or a x0xb0x griiinnnn) simultaneously or in parallel.

The xt filter characteristics alone are worth the price (in bundles, IMHO). Not to mention the tone of the wavetables and modulation, and audio input (which is mono, but better than nothing) ... the dp/4's rich reverbs and effects add a dimension that is pure magic. One has to make sure the fx mix is not too high Wink

well, and of course now that I have x0x 853 getting built soon (I hope), and then all madness will be set loose. Kids, please, don't try this with your g2's at home Wink
/Dasz

New configuration.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  128.86 KB
 Viewed:  460 Time(s)

New configuration.jpg

xt 4 outs -to- dp4 4 ins and 4 outs - big.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  125.12 KB
 Viewed:  438 Time(s)

xt 4 outs -to- dp4 4 ins and 4 outs - big.jpg

Last edited by dasz on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 1 of 3 [56 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: 1, 2, 3 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: