electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Conway's Game of Life
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
PHOBoS

Audio files: 705

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

at the moment the inputs from missing cells are connected to GND (0)

it's the standard Conway's Game of Life rulset so:
if there are less than 2 neighbours the cell is dead (off)
if there are 2 neighbours and the cell is dead it stays dead (off)
if there are 2 neighbours and the cell is alive it stays alive (yellow)
if there are 3 neighbours the cell is alive (green)
if there are more than 3 neighbours the cell is dead (red)

Since they are bicolor LEDs green is just the standard output dead/alive, and red is on either when alive with 2 neighbours or when there are more than 3 neighbours.
If I manually toggle an LED on it will be green, unless the red LED was already on than it will of course be yellow untill the next CLK. And if I manually turn it off it
will be either off or red depending on the state of the red LED.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thank you, will try to put that in Cool
PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

just came across this gorgeous one

the rest on that channel is worth checking out too

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
dk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

That looks awesome!
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Got this now .. with some color patterns ... editable rules ... the deviation from standard life isthe 1,5,1 bit in the green rule - it seems as if the patterns are more easily ever lasting with that.

I'm not sure if I did the red rule right ... and I'm not sure I have all the links to neighbor cells set up ok .. but potentially this could be a nice way to explore the effects of different rules and starting patterns I think? (cells toggle live state with a click on them).

O ... and also ... PHOBoS ... you said you have a 12 step repeating pattern .. what is a starting configuration for it? (to check if I have the same thing you have ...).

Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

oh that's a very nice cuby, was not expecting you'd go for 'LEDs' but just color the entire square.
I am trying to figure out your ruleset which looks to be something like: current state, neighbours, next state
but you left out the ones where there is no change between current and next state, correct ?

so for the standard life rules that would be:
GREEN: 1,0,0; 1,1,0; 0,3,1; 1,4,0; 1,5,0; 1,6,0; 1,7,0; 1,8,0;
RED: 1,0,0; 1,1,0; 1,3,0; 0,4,1; 0,5,1; 0,6,1; 0,7,1; 0,8,1;

there are 2 patterns that are easy to test (assuming my cube actually does work like it should)
the first one is a 4 step looping pattern which is set by creating a single band around the cube.
this band will then move up and down (at least for a horizontal band, it would move sideways for a vertical band)
note that it goes through a sligtly different pattern before it starts looping.

the other one is a triangle using the diagonal cells of 3 adjacent sides of the cube which will result in a 5 step looping pattern.

the one in the gif is the 12 step which is also pretty simple to set but a bit difficult to explain without labeling the cells.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The numbering I'm using is:

Code:

// Numbering scheme for the cube of faces of panels of cells ...
  //
  //                 +-------+-------+
  //                 | 0   1 | 0   1 |
  //                 |   0   |   1   |
  //                 | 2   3 | 2   3 |
  //                 +------ 0 ------+
  //                 |   2   |   3   |
  // +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
  // | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 |
  // |   0   |   1   |   0   |   1   |   0   |   1   |   0   |   1   |
  // | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 |
  // +------ 1 ------+------ 2 ------+------ 3 ------+------ 4 ------+
  // | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 | 0   1 |
  // |   2   |   3   |   2   |   3   |   2   |   3   |   2   |   3   |
  // | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 | 2   3 |
  // +-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+-------+
  //                 |   0   |   1   |
  //                 +------ 5 ------+
  //                 |   2   |   3   |
  //                 +-------+-------+
  //
  // a cell is a single LED
  // a panel is a set of four cells
  // a face is a set of four panels
  // the cube is a set of six faces

Also having it as a txt file @ https://bluehell.nl/small_stuff/cube.txt - I had it printed, cut out and folded to a cube held together with some sticky tape.

And then each LED (or cell) has three numbers/coordinates (face, panel, cell) .. face number is in the center of the face (0-5) panel number in the center of the panel (0-3) cell/LED mumbers are 'as is'.

The triangle pattern works in some locations, not in others .. so I have some wrong connections Confused The current .. seemingly wrong ... list of neighbors is @ https://bluehell.nl/small_stuff/neighbors.txt

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

ok in that case the 12-step could be set with:
[0.2.2] [0.2.3] [1.1.1] [1.1.3] [2.0.0] [2.3.3] [3.2.0] [3.2.2] [5.1.0] [5.1.1]

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I've been thinking to make something to set the cells of the cube in an easier way, likely with an arduino to keep it versatile and I have an idea
for something that I could then use as a fun controller. It's a bit silly of course as I could simply run the whole thing with an arduino that way.

but here's the thing; since I couldn't get ordinary 74HCxx flip flops to work I used the 555's which was also much more convenient for the PCB layout.
The 555's don't use a switch that has one side connected to GND or V+ so it can not simply be controlled with a logic 0 or 1. I'd have to bridge the
switch itself (I did add connectors for that) either with something like a 4066 or if I am lucky just a transistor will work. Of course I need to be able to
address all 96 cells individually so it will require 96 of them and because I don't have 96 outputs on an arduino i'd also need 12 8-step shiftregisters to
control those switches. I might design some PCB's for that too to keep it compact so it can easily fit inside the cube and save some time on soldering.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ah .. ok .. that 12 step thing terminates here after 15 or 16 steps .. will check the cell connections ...

And, yes, you guessed the rule rule right (state,count, new-state) and indeed there is no need to specify rules that do not change anything.

Re. using the arduino to do the LED control directly .. you would not be able anymore to proudly say that it runs on your self designed systolic array computer Laughing

Ok, dinner and such first now .. then check on the neighbors Shocked

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Re. using the arduino to do the LED control directly .. you would not be able anymore to proudly say that it runs on your self designed systolic array computer Laughing

yeah exactly Laughing
of course I'd only use it to set the initial state but I was thinking earlier how far I could get with eproms, programming some kind of presets.
but to trigger those presets ehm,.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Made it so that when ctrl-clicking on a cell it's neighbours will toggle .. found three mistakes that way .. and your patterns now behave as expected .. I think Smile

Still not sure about the red rule tho ... but that is mainly decoration anyway Laughing

I gave it history .. so you can step back as well now (8192 steps max) .. can save patterns and rules in files .. red rule can be disabled to make it more clear to see what is happening ... can set the tempo for auto-step ... should be almost complete Smile (except for projections of the faces on a rotating cube Rolling Eyes .. but .. might be able to beam stuff to an arduino thingie maybe .. trough a serial port emulation or something ... would that be handy for you?)

When done I'll publish it along with the source code.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Could get it on a rotating cube after all Shocked

The cube faces seem to be incorrectly oriented ..but will get there Rolling Eyes

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I guess I need to start working on my zero gravity chamber to get my cube to rotate.
Well done, even if it's not fully functioning yet Shocked

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
I guess I need to start working on my zero gravity chamber to get my cube to rotate.

Hmm .. could you send power trough such a thing even? looks like ...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

And a better one .. it's not exactly a 'for breakfast' thingie Shocked

Put the numbers in to be able to check the corect orientation of the faces.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

The red is indeed different from what I have but for the rest I think it looks the same, so I guess that also confirms that my cube works correct.
And yeah red is just an extra bonus since I had 4 pins free per EPROM but to simplify it; red is on when a cell is alive and has exactly 2 neighbours
(creating yellow) or when it has more than 3 neighbours. Of course you can easily try different rules, or more colors (e.g. depending on the age of
a cell, or the exact amount of live neighbours)

anyway, looks awesome! Razz now go get breakfast

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Quote:
Hmm .. could you send power trough such a thing even? looks like

if made from a non conductive material using (metal) ball bearings I guess that might work.
I actually had that thing in mind before but for putting it inside the cube with some magnets on it and use reedswitches to set the cells.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Two more .. the background image is not really an improvement .. as it wants the LEDs to be un-flat Confused They suddenly look like stickers that are being added and removed ... and there is a lot of aliasing ... oh and the LEDs are a bit too big for the background.

Anyways .. will first try to get the red bits okaynow ..better.

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Very Happy

here's a better background image, don't know if that would improve things though.
also, small detail, I rotated the faces in such a way that they are all perpendicular to eachother (if that makes sense).
You can probably see what I mean if you look at this photo:

GOL 4 CELL EPROM CB V1_0 REV 1_1.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.81 KB
 Viewed:  80 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

GOL 4 CELL EPROM CB V1_0 REV 1_1.png

elmegil

Audio files: 16

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Shocked Shocked Shocked

This is how you get the borg, you know? Laughing
blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

PHOBoS wrote:
here's a better background image, don't know if that would improve things though.
also, small detail, I rotated the faces in such a way that they are all perpendicular to eachother (if that makes sense).

Ah, ok, yeah I like that image better Cool .. will see if I can rotate them for faces 2 and 4 .. and then maybe 5 as well .. will see .. they are decoration only .. so doesnt matter how I rotate 'm ... doesn't matter for functionality ...

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2021 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

A version of the PHOBoS cube software emulation is at :: https://bluehell.nl/small_stuff/cube-000.zip

In the zip is a Win64/release folder with in it a 2D and a 3D executable, the rest is source code. When you copy the exe to another location, also copy the back.bmp file - it is the background for the 3D cube .. that is if you want a PCB like background .. you can also put in your own drawing in back.pcb.

It is all a bit sketchy Laughing and the 3D version with everything turned on is a bit slow Confused

But I think it can be used for experiments .. without having to reprogram all the EPROMs ...

PHOBoS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks jan, that's incredible! love

That ruleset does seem to work very well indeed, I tried some random patterns and they just keep going.
I'll play around with it and see what I can discover.

blue hell
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool

Besides learning some 3D stuff for myself, my hope was for it to be useful for you.

So, anyway, if you have ideas for improvement for what you want to use it for, I'll try to change things for that.

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 7 of 8 [178 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: