electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
DIY Vocoder projects?
Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [138 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
goodrevdoc

Audio files: 1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Those look to be close if not closer. (21 pins obv, not 13) I'm sure the layout could be modded if not... Not familiar with Conrad. Do they ship stateside? Reasonable prices? Min order? Thanks for posting this btw...
-justin
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject:   Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

So here's a picture of my completed vocoder. Sorry for the blur, I'm not much with cameras...
Posted Image, might have been reduced in size. Click Image to view fullscreen.

I used a sheet of clear laser decal paper for the marking. Not bad, but if I do it again it will be better. It is shown functional, but I'm gonna rip it apart and tweak the ensemble (actually a Tonepad Small Clone Stereo w/ CD4053 switching). Not bad I guess considering this is the first rack mount thing I've ever made/owned (now I need to buy a rack!!!). Anyway enjoy...
-justin
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Looks great, Justin. Looking forward to some music. Or, should the be "hearing forward"?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
23isgood

Audio files: 13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Wow it looks great! Can you direct me to where you got the clear laser decal paper? Thats what I need to label my Klee panel.

thanks
pete

goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hey thanks Howard and Pete! In the US, smallbear sells the decal stock, but I got mine from MIcro-Mark. They have several varieties to choose from, I opted for the "starter pack" that has a few sheets of clear and a few of white. It's item #82711 for laser. Funny, I actually got the Idea from Bugbrand Tom's Klee panel. Doing a 19" panel was daunting, especially for it being the first time I used this stuff, but anything smaller than 8.5x11 I can see being relatively simple.
-justin
synthmonger

Audio files: 3

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:20 am    Post subject: okita problems Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm getting a couple weird issues with my okita.

A couple things I should mention are:
I used 100nf decop caps instead of the 10n on the voice board
I used SA571Ns
I am getting a low buzz from the voice board
I let my friend put it together which was one of his first projects so the soldering isn't too great. I went over it and found a couple bad joints but it looks ok.
The i/o board works great but the instrument op-amp gets too hot to touch right off the bat, it hasn't burned out...yet

I noticed the wiring on the diagram was a little off, but to be safe 15 on the pot should be 13 right?

Any suggestions?
synthmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: meh Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Couple new things...
Switching to a 12v psu eliminates the hum and there seems to be no difference in the performance.

I noticed on the i/o board point "B" (leading to a polarized 10uf cap going into pin 13) is not on the schematic and the 4.7uF cap from pin 7's compander is non existant and should be going to the voice board. Does this sound right?

Also, I just found out that pin 7 should have a 10k resistor going to the close 10uF and 10K connection. This makes everything work sorta right. Razz Razz

Though I am getting a little bit of mic bleedthru but it's hard to tell when the instrument gain is up.

For synths the instrument input seems to work dandy, but guitar sounds like crackly garbage. The op-amp is still getting a bit too hot.

The signal level doesn't follow the audio levels as I expected -the led is constantly on. Shouldn't it fade in and out like a normal signal indicator does? The peak acts the same way, but only when the gain is up or the signal is obviously peaking but it doesn't fade out.

Sorry for grammatical errors I've been up far too long... Crying or Very sad
synthmonger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wave !!!!! I think I figured out what's wrong. In Justin's design there is a +1uF that is next to the diode and 2n3904 signal/peak indicator should actually be a .33uf as the original design lists. I guess that's why the signal indicator was always on and didn't fade out like it should.

Do you guys think this is why the instrument op-amp was getting hot? Hard to tell since the microphone op-amp was running cool.

Too bad I'm at work right now and will be here for another hour before I can go home and verify this. I was wondering why I didn't use the two .33uf caps that I ordered from the BOM list. jackson dancing
synthmonger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Swapping the cap made the response only better. The indicator is whats causing it to get hot. I'm sure of this because I bent pins 1-3 up and made sure they didn't fit in the socket and it caused the heat to go away. I put them back in and desoldered the 47k resistor going to ground and left the pin floating which allowed the signal indicator to work and the op-amp to remain cool.

Any idear why?
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

wave Cool! Somebody built one. Way to go, synthmonger. thumright thumleft I actually haven't been around for quite some time. (travel and work, of course) But I am so jazzed to hear someone actually finished one. I only glimpsed over your corrections, but I will crack open the beast tomorrow and confirm your findings. Many moons later, I can say that my Okita is still functioning well and never had any noise issues at all. I used 5 SA571's in the voice board and an NE570 for the actual compander. My Instrument op-amp (TL072) got hot when I first built fired it up, but then went away randomly. I assumed it was a bad solder joint as I had found a few others...(3 or 4 out of 1200 ain't bad Wink ) Hey synthmonger, what are yr thoughts/impressions of this beast? IMHO, it does the "vocoder effect very well, and is pretty capable for general use. Congrats again, and PICS!!! SAMPLES!!!
-justin
synthmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Well this is my first vocoder ever. I've played with a microkorg for about 2 seconds and I don't really remember how it sounded. I do realllly love the sound of it and I was playing it for about an hour each day for the past couple weeks just saying random things into it. It's like a childs toy hehe!

The only beef I have with it are the signal indicators, I do wish they would fade in and out like one would expect them too. I'm 100 billion % sure everything is in it's right place, according to the schematic and board itself, but of course, I could be wrong...I just would be unbelievably surprised to find something amiss since I spent a good 10+ hours staring and tracing the board for any faults.

I do need to build a better PSU, in fact I need to build one period. I was using a crummy one I built years ago for testing things out and I think it's going kaput. I'm focused on finishing a few designs right now before I even touch the vocoder again, cos if I do I'll waste alot of time just playing with it ;D
goodrevdoc

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

synthmonger,
Just gave my Okita a once over and checked it agianst yr findings. Here is what I've found:

Quote:
I noticed the wiring on the diagram was a little off, but to be safe 15 on the pot should be 13 right?

Yes, this seems to make sense. This pertains to the headphone amp, right?

Quote:
I noticed on the i/o board point "B" (leading to a polarized 10uf cap going into pin 13) is not on the schematic and the 4.7uF cap from pin 7's compander is non existant and should be going to the voice board. Does this sound right?

Also, I just found out that pin 7 should have a 10k resistor going to the close 10uF and 10K connection. This makes everything work sorta right. Razz

If I am reading correctly, the 10uF cap is a decoupling cap. The pin 7 fiasco is a small error in the layout. Just run a jumper from where the 4.7uF Tant and the 10K resistor meet to the trace connected to pin 7 on the compander. This was done on my unit, I just overlooked it when revising the layout. Does this make sense?

Quote:
I think I figured out what's wrong. In Justin's design there is a +1uF that is next to the diode and 2n3904 signal/peak indicator should actually be a .33uf as the original design lists. I guess that's why the signal indicator was always on and didn't fade out like it should.

This is an error in my labeling. Thanks for finding it. On my unit, I have always had the .33uF Tant. caps installed. Which is sort of a pity because I too had secretly hoped to improve the indicator function.

Quote:
Well this is my first vocoder ever. I've played with a microkorg for about 2 seconds and I don't really remember how it sounded. I do realllly love the sound of it and I was playing it for about an hour each day for the past couple weeks just saying random things into it. It's like a childs toy hehe!

This was my first vocoder as well. Like yourself, I had had only limited practical experience with vocoders, so the child's toy definately applies!!! Some of my favorite things to say are:
Freeze Humans!
All your base, base, base...
Voltron, defender of the universe!!!

Quote:
I do need to build a better PSU, in fact I need to build one period.

I built a dedicated power supply for this one. it uses a Tamura PCB-mount transformer and is very compact and reliable. I wouldn't run a modular on it but I've used this design several times for stand alone units with great success. I can send you the layout if you like.
As for those pesky signal indicators, I definitely feel yr pain. They seem to serve a very basic utilitarian function, but very little else beyond that. If I were to do it all again, I would definitely hack in some sort of 10 LED bar graph display. (or good old VU meters, panel space willing Very Happy ) The 4558's are just set up as dual comparators being fed from the input op amps. Hacking in some sort of LM3914 daughterboard would seem to make the most sense. I would do it myself if I hadn't already finished my panel. Also, putting square holes in metal scares the heck out of me. Laughing
Let me know if all of this makes sense and if there's anything else I can help you with. Till then, Happy Vocoding!!
-justin
synthmonger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Yeah the headphone amp.

Makes sense. That's all I did after looking over it again.

I think I may redo the entire signal section or just use one of CGS led indicator pcbs to monitor the signal input. I hate how they just turn on or off, it's pretty much useless.

So is your instrument op-amp getting hot at all still?

The PSU layout would be great, thanks!
Ganzha

Audio files: 27

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:56 pm    Post subject: I am going to assemle! Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!
I have a schematics diagramm of vocoder from 1980. The source Sovyet (USSR) magazine.

andrewF

Audio files: 4

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi Ganzha
does it contain any unusual USSR chips?
would you be able to upload the files?
Ganzha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:17 am    Post subject: USSR vocoder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!
It includes analog of CA3045 for VCA's
how to share scans here? Just to attache?

Thanks for interest!

fonik

Audio files: 23

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

hi,

if you have access to webspace post just the link.

you can even email me the scans. i will upload them and post the url.

or just upload it to flickR?

hallo,

wenn du webspace hast, dann kannst du einfach den link posten.

du kannst mir die scans auch schicken (email) und ich lade sie dann hoch und poste den link.

oder einfack auf flickR hochladen?

Ganzha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: SOviet's vocoder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

It qwite simple, very close to Okita vocoder, it includes VCA's on K159NT1D - 2 matched transistors
nothing special at all

Voc1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  152.79 KB
 Viewed:  629 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Voc1.jpg

Voc2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  186.02 KB
 Viewed:  575 Time(s)
This image has been reduced to fit the page. Click on it to enlarge.

Voc2.jpg

e-grad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: USSR vocoder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ganzha wrote:
It includes analog of CA3045

Is it a subsititute for K140UD20 or K140UD7?
Ganzha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: About components Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

K140 UD 7 is full analog 741 U could excnage for any tipe like TL072,TL 074
k140 Ud 20 - simple double 741 - TL 072 completely fits!
If you examinate this schematic U find that it is clone of Okita vocoder without NE570
and little bit simple

austrohungaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: USSR vocoder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

e-grad wrote:
Ganzha wrote:
It includes analog of CA3045

Is it a substitute for K140UD20 or K140UD7?

I think K159NT1A is the transistor array .

K140UD... are Op Amps

Look at this site. It's quite obscure for me, it's not in english, the cyrillic to latin transport is confusing sometimes... but it's useful:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ganswijk/chipdir/soviet/latin/data.htm

I found this site because I have some soviet synths and wanted to repair one of them...

BTW, you can have schematics for EM26 soviet vocoder here:
http://filters.muziq.be/model/elektronika/em26

I have this vocoder twice. First one has some issues, so I decided to buy another. Maybe in the future I will try to repair it, but I'm too ignorant right now.
e-grad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Re: USSR vocoder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

austrohungaro wrote:
the cyrillic to latin transport is confusing sometimes

Yes, since it's not handled uniformly (e.g. Ж becomes: sh or j) I usually prefer the cyrrilc original.
austrohungaro

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: USSR vocoder Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

e-grad wrote:
austrohungaro wrote:
the cyrillic to latin transport is confusing sometimes

Yes, since it's not handled uniformly (e.g. Ж becomes: sh or j) I usually prefer the cyrrilc original.

Then you could try this:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ganswijk/chipdir/soviet/chips.htm
e-grad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Cool site, thanks!
Ganzha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: NE570N and SA571 Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Hi!

here on EU the price for NE570 and Sa571 - around 5EUR,
that is too expensive to me I am going to build an Okita with VCA in CA3080
that is only solution

Post new topic   Reply to topic Moderators: jksuperstar, Scott Stites, Uncle Krunkus
Page 3 of 6 [138 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » DIY Hardware and Software
Jump to: