electro-music.com   Dedicated to experimental electro-acoustic
and electronic music

Front Page  |  Radio
 |  Media  |  Forum  |  Wiki  |  Links
Forum with support of Syndicator RSS
 FAQFAQ   CalendarCalendar   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   LinksLinks
 RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  Chat RoomChat Room 
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
No news about G2 OS update ?
Page 5 of 10 [241 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
ian-s

Audio files: 42
G2 patch files: 626

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:
Still it's too bad I can't read your XLS.

Free excel reader by Microsoft
drxcm

G2 patch files: 2

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Thanks for all the work getting this to a submissible level,

My votes from that list would be:

Filterbank
Polyphonic sequencers
Voice allocation
Unison / detune module
mosc
Site Admin

Audio files: 212
G2 patch files: 60

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

g2ian wrote:
Blue Hell wrote:

Free excel reader by Microsoft

Openoffice is a good free alternative too. It reads/writes XLS files. http://www.openoffice.org/

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Antimon

Audio files: 371
G2 patch files: 100

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I think google spreadsheets supports excel too:

http://spreadsheets.google.com

/Stefan

dorremifasol

Audio files: 7
G2 patch files: 49

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

We use OpenOffice.org at my office and it is really great. I recommend it!
Fozzie

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Should we split the wishlist thingie in this topic to the wishlist subforum? Anyway, that subforum contains a lot of wishes that will have to be dealt with also, I think. A lot of work to do thoroughly (and I don't have time for it at the moment, I'm afraid).
3phase

Audio files: 13
G2 patch files: 141

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Blue Hell wrote:

i ll update it as soon a few more statements are in and have it as txt file than...
As you see...your statement brought all delay reralted wishes a bit higher..

The high quality wish is the same as the wish to have a mini delay on dsp base ..and your delay with read out pointer is the in fact the sampling wish when you think of this in realistic modules... As you see...just formulating the wishes indeed gives a structure where certain things are more asked than others..even when the wishes might look totaly different...
seen as modules you need to get there they are sometimes the same..

So..more wish lists please... with absolutely no garantie that any of them can be fullfilled...but.. when you dont formulate them the chance is even worse Smile
3phase

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I miss Mosc to ask for the fixed filter bank..ok..i know tghat he wants one ..
everybody does..but he is not in the count of this module..

So anybody that went thru the wishes and have seen one that is desireable should say that..and when something important or very funky that is good for the machine is missing just metion the wish..

In the actual list there are plenty minor and pretty unrealistic things ( in reƶation of the probability that clavia would go that far) But some things are clearly often mentioned...

The list would have a good reason even when just this main tendencies get pointed out to clavia...

So far we have a clear N01...but below of that it needs some cleaning..
There is plenty points to poll for to get the lower places in order..
But it would be good to have some clear top favorites out..
After analyzing the thread i dont think its necessary to vote for extra sequencer options anymore... a new voice allocation was also wished by independet users in a very agreed form and as ist looks ..all the lofi delay, sampling delay, granular sampling, write/read pointer wish also is so strong that we dont need to poll such a super delay module anymore... with variable, rate and read out pointers .. we would have a module that can fullfill all this wishes... wouldnt turn the G2 in to a fullfeatured sampler..but that is impossible anyway...
But the wish to patch something in this area was pretty strong allready...
SO with blue hells statement and seeing how all this wishes interact this goes straight into the top 5 .. IMO...

I think its not a bad way to structure a poll by first analyzing the wishes and only poll the things where only little or no extra feedback came...

MAybe we realy have a ranking that is made out of the total amount of formulated wishes... a top 5 list.. i guess afterwards there are no clear readings possible... and the rest ..the 6-15 list
and each list gets a poll?
3phase

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

a quick actualized version... 47 wishes alltogether... allready too much...
Some intersting stuff in the last places... so defently something to do a poll..
However ..as it seems the fixed filterbank is a pretty strong demand...
I moved out the bug fixes because that anyway should happen in an update...

Bild 5.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  9.88 KB
 Viewed:  5860 Time(s)

Bild 5.png

Bild 6.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  4.17 KB
 Viewed:  6831 Time(s)

Bild 6.png

Bild 4.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  10.71 KB
 Viewed:  5855 Time(s)

Bild 4.png

Last edited by 3phase on Wed May 16, 2007 6:06 am; edited 3 times in total
3phase

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

i updated it again

The Extension 'htm' was deactivated by an board admin, therefore this Attachment is not displayed.

Last edited by 3phase on Wed May 16, 2007 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
I miss Mosc to ask for the fixed filter bank..ok..i know tghat he wants one ..
everybody does..but he is not in the count of this module..

Look a couple of posts back (previous page) and you'll find :

mosc wrote:
Sure, you can modify every patch to adjust for velocity , but it is really a system function, like sustain pedal polarity, control pedal gain or master tune. To me, this would be the most important upgrade, even more important than the filter bank, but I long for a filter bank too.

3phase

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Ok i updated it.. i think it should be alright to this point...

I would say we get this fished before the summer break..pointing wishes should be done before the masters of dsp start thinking about their own planes.. At least i think than there is the biggest chance that some will get attention...so in a few weeks we should poll it..

and before discuss...

I neutralized my comments in the list.. but again... loading gaps and more variations are such deep cuts in the instruments infra structure that i don't see that too happen.. i opt for to mention them out of concurrence for that reason...

Anybody backs up that position?
Regebro

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:  You don't want more wished, eh? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

But yet, I miss graintable synthesis from that list. scratch But maybe that's not technically possible? If it is they can steal (or borrow) the tables from Propellerheads, The Maelstroem softsynth rocks! afro

I'd also vote for the Spectral and Formant Osc on that list, and improves sequencers. That said, I don't have a G2 yet, and saving to get marred next year. However, a G2 is #1 in the savings list after that. (Pesky girls, being so nice that you have to marry them, when you could have spent all that money on the studio instead. Blah! Rolling Eyes )
Spandex

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

I'm a little confused as to where to post requests for this list... I posted a poll about delay/buffers a while back in the "wishlist" forum.. and they do seem to be mentioned in the list posted here too.. but there were 7 votes on my wishlist thread and apparently there's only 3 votes on this list.. so maybe you're taking them from a different place? In which case, please count this as another vote Smile

My original wishlist request:-
http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-16468.html&highlight=

Also, I think the post above distinguishes between having "sample buffers" and adding "a sampler". I'm NOT wishing for non-volatile memory, etc.

If there's anyone left still asking for a sampler in the sense of something that stores/loads samples in non-volatile memory then you've misunderstood what a software update is capable of delivering. And if there's anyone left who thinks that putting a sample buffer module into the G2 is impossible/unworkable then you've misunderstood what's being asked for... there are already patches doing this, using clever delay line hacks.

There... that's my bi-annual forum post over with Smile

dasz

Audio files: 29
G2 patch files: 56

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

uhm,3 phase,

#28 kangoo jumps module? how did that turn into a request? i mentioned my rebound runners as part of a reply, not a wish list for the g2.

i think the best would be to formulate a subforum with each topic representing a feature request or bug poll. then the results could be updated in a summary post? or an em private msg poll sent to all Nord heads.

/Dasz
Fozzie

Audio files: 8

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

This wishlist thingie isn't going as structured as I would prefer, but here's my perspective:

1. Delay bugfixes (clocksync is buggy/inaccurate) and the popular wishes for longer delaytime/lower samplingrate, readout pointer control.
2. Parameter exclusion for variations
3. Voice allocation control
4. Velocity curve control
5. High quality short 24bit delay module for phys modeling
6. Rate input on the clock module, to be able to have finer control of BPM (it is way too coarse)

There are also a few things that need to be clarified (now or later) imho: there is an allpass filter on the list. In what way should it be different to what is already present? A polyphonic seq is mentioned often; how should this be implemented in the current editor? A module with multiple blue outputs? How will this fit in with the current polyphony handling? I like the idea, but I don't see a practical solution for it...

3phase

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: You don't want more wished, eh? Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Regebro wrote:
But yet, I miss graintable synthesis from that list.
)

I have bundled that all under a sampling delay module with various mod and trigger possebilitys...

So you have to patch such things yourself... at least grain synthesis stuff from realtime input would be possible than..

real samplememory and tables i dont see as a practical possible wish...
am i wrong?

I found the only way to get the wishlist compact to combine wishes that might be solved in one module...

so multipattern or polyphon sequencing..booth would need editing ability on various pages..a very similar module... so maybe it can be solved in one ?

same with questions after sampling, variable readout rates and write read pointes and garnular and slice stuff from all kind...

This could be 7 wishes..but in reality clavia never would do that..
One module that is good for 7 tricks is much more in the philosophy of the nord modulars and so there is a much better chance to see such a thing when we ask for that one instead 10 different things that are basically all based on free accesible ram readout...

I was no friend of sampling wishes.but a delay module that can be accessed in various ways can be a real cool module...
Just because all this wishes might be able to get adressed in a single module this one might be a very realistic wish... Clavia needs to see a point in a wish... Grain table like maelstroehm is a bit vague..They are defenetly not into coping software synths and rather try to find more basic/ academic solutions for the NM system...
3phase

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spandex wrote:
I'm a little confused as to where to post requests for this list...

I only was collecting what was mentioned in this thread and interpretated it..
I dont make a super clean list... i felt free to group wishes as i just said...

So all display related wishes i counted as display usage optimisations and everything that requires controled ram read out is grouped und the sampling delay module... which is your buffer wish aswell...

In case clavia really does an update... (That is only reality when they really start doing it... its not guarantied to happen... just to make it clear)

In case clavia really does an update they wont be able to do 20 new modules... they cant afford to work years on that... so..
As more we can cook down certain wishes to a single module wish as more likely it gets..

The way i cook it down is maybe not 100% democratic but i think its in the interst of all to try to get this a rather compact wishlist...

Anyway.. Anybody is free to mail clavia directly with an induvidual wish..i only try to read and interpretate tendencies..and of cause to push it in a usefull direction...

In ideal we have a list in the end where the to 5 or ten have things anybody will have a benefit from..

Therefore its important to be serrious about what are the most needed improovements for one self...

I personally like any single wish on the list... thats not the point.. its just rather useless to send clavia a list with 50 equal wishes...
This will end with the mails of the 10000 other wishes they have allready recieved..

When the forum can show a clear top 5 it might be easier to be recognized..
3phase

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
uhm,3 phase,

#28 kangoo jumps module? how did that turn into a request? i mentioned my rebound runners as part of a reply, not a wish list for the g2.

/Dasz

As i said my evaluation of this thread is an interpretated one..and because there was so much about this kangoo jumps i interpretated that as a subconcious wish for a modulation source that is doing elasticy/ gravity fx Wink

was i wrong?

Last edited by 3phase on Wed May 16, 2007 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
blue hell
Site Admin

Audio files: 278
G2 patch files: 320

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:
6. Rate input on the clock module, to be able to have finer control of BPM (it is way too coarse)

Could be tricky Very Happy

On the master clock or on the clock module? In master mode or in standalone mode or in both? Or should the clock module affect the master clock, in which case probably a new master clock control module would be the thing as there can now be multiple independent clock modules in a patch (which would get a bit funny if they could control the master clock). Hmm, the master clock is global for all patches so you still could have multiple control modules ... how about simply a fine control for the master clock ?

When it should not act on the master clock it is possible to use an LFO (maybe set to follow the master clock) and a divider in order to get both clock outputs and another divider for the sync output.

Jason

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Fozzie wrote:

1. Delay bugfixes (clocksync is buggy/inaccurate) and the popular wishes for longer delaytime/lower samplingrate, readout pointer control.
(it is way too coarse)

I think this is a great idea.
I still really like the idea of clockable/syncable envelopes as well.

I heard that the vocoder had some coding issues or something, perhaps regarding its tracking (and though I like it, I would like it changed) it would be nice to see this module updated or redone , though I am sure that is low on everyones list....
3phase

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

dasz wrote:
i think the best would be to formulate a subforum with each topic representing a feature request or bug poll. then the results could be updated in a summary post? or an em private msg poll sent to all Nord heads.

/Dasz

please dont see my doing as an arrogant action..its just that while doing the list i realized that there are strong tendencies allready...
Individually poll each item would destroy that again..
For example your cool idea to lock slots will have brillant results in a individual poll..even i couldnt say no to it... But that wouldnt help to have such a big task on No1... i might be wrong.. But i dont think clavia would redesign the whole instrument.. But maybe ?
It however would wipe away more practical things that dont sounds so promissing like the allocation question..

In my opinion:

We should hold on getting direct wishes from users just as it happens wright now..we count them...
everybody can do an own count on this thread..its possible to do mistakes..
I ve overseen mosks vote for the filterbank for example...

Than we have a probably clear top 5..and a dozent place 6...and 2 dozent place 7...

we only should poll this wishes that have a smaller common base to wight them against each other...

Sofar it clearly looks that

New Sequencers (poly/pattern/gate)
voice allocation
sampling/table delay
fixed filter bank
pitchbend midi out
parameter exclusion from variation change
and offline editing or buildingblock support

are the most vaforite wishes..

what is a pretty good selection...

I think its possible by analyzing this discussion to get a pretty decend result..

At least in the moment it looks like..

i personally find in this actuall toplist many of my favorites..
i wouldnt have asked for the pitchbend thing... but its usefull anyway..and easy to realize... At least i would rather live with a rough pitchbend resolution than none at all..And it should be possible to code the full pitchbend resolution anyway...
Spandex

G2 patch files: 3

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase wrote:
please dont see my doing as an arrogant action..its just that while doing the list i realized that there are strong tendencies allready...

Seems you're doing something very useful to me.

Whether or not Clavia take notice is another question Smile

btw. you are talking about the same sort of sampling/delay/buffer thing as me... but I've found it's necessary to be VERY clear about this one, as it's very easy to get muddled with people's idea of "a sampler". Fozzie's description is perhaps better because it stresses the fact that it's a change to the existing delaylines.

Fozzie wrote:

(it is way too coarse)

I'd maybe add "interpolation" once we have the readout pointer control.

Damn... I really want this fictional update.

3phase

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

Spandex wrote:

btw. you are talking about the same sort of sampling/delay/buffer thing as me... but I've found it's necessary to be VERY clear about this one, as it's very easy to get muddled with people's idea of "a sampler". Fozzie's description is perhaps better because it stresses the fact that it's a change to the existing delaylines.

When we have the top list we can add comments what we would like to achive with such a module ..The practical applikation will be of cause in the hands of Clavias designers.. So such a module will able to do some of the requested things but probably not all...
But.. i am sure that we all would find a good use of a module that gives us at least some possebilitys in that unexplored direction..The ram is there...
So i really have changed my mind regarding that item and fully support the "sampling" wish in form of a more accesible delay ram module...
That makes really sense within the G2 conception and is much more on the point than just asking for general grainsynthesis or sampling abilitys.
dorremifasol

Audio files: 7

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote  Mark this post and the followings unread

3phase, I have tried the trick about programming the velocity curve using a midi input->shaper or whatever->midi output, but it doesn't work...

I mean, the trick works if you set the slot output channel to off (or you will get double voices), but then there is no pitchbend / modulation wheel output :/ which makes the G2 not very usable as a keyboard controller.

Last edited by dorremifasol on Wed May 16, 2007 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Page 5 of 10 [241 Posts]
View unread posts
View new posts in the last week
Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 Next
Mark the topic unread :: View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Clavia Nord Modular » Nord Modular G2 Discussion
Jump to: